August 3, 2012

Unmounted Stamps

Yesterday I talked about the different kinds of stamps you can get, including unmounted rubber.  That post was partly inspired by a recent order of stamps I received.  It's the first time I've bought unmounted stamps.  Alas, I didn't think about what's required to mount them when I ordered the stamps and now find myself with several sets of stamps I can't use.

Why's that?  You need to mount stamps on cling foam, and I've discovered that none of the craft/art supply stores near me carry it.  Which means I won't be able to use these until I place my next order - and order myself some cling foam.


In the meantime, I've been learning how to mount unmounted stamps.  According to this video by Bombshell stamps (found through a quick google search), it's pretty easy.

So, buyer beware.  If you're getting unmounted stamps, buy the cling foam right away or you'll find yourself staring wistfully at your new stamps unable to use them.  Though, having the stamps does mean you can figure out how much cling to buy.  

Simon Says Stamp (the next store I need to place an order with and so the only store I've checked for cling foam) sells EZ cling mounting foam in 8 1/2" x 11" sheets, thick (1/8") or thin (1/16").  Lucky for me, my stamps equal a full 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, so I'll only need one sheet and should have minimal waste. Unfortunately for me, I won't be placing that order for a few weeks yet...

No comments: