In a strange twist, the first card I really tried the ink 'painting' technique is the only one that's really worked so far. It's a dinosaur card. The dinosaur here was the challenge. I kept forgetting to use an eraser on the stamp, and so got splotchy images when I tried to stamp it. I also discovered that my Close to my Heart stamps (the first I've purchased) don't seem to like markers as much as they do inks. On the plus side, I got a nifty two toned dinosaur, which I fussy cut out and pop dotted over the circle.
The trees were from a different CtmH set that didn't mind markers as much. I taped a piece of acetate over the circle I cut out on my Silhouette (sort of a do it yourself Spellbinders effect) so I'd keep a white edge while inking the inside. The sky and ground both worked out well, with me adding the dinosaur's shadow at the end in marker (not my smartest move with this card).
Stamps: Close to my Heart: Roar, Happy Camper