April 14, 2017

Easter Egg Tree

My parents always had an easter egg tree for hand made blown eggs. It always had pussy willows and branches to hang the eggs on.

Well, I decided it was time for me to have a 'tree' to hang the eggs I've been making. In addition to the pussy willows, I added a cattail, some dollar store branches (one with mini eggs and one with little buds and butterfly beads). At the bottom are foam roses (also dollar store). To light it, I added a string of blue butterfly fairy lights.


March 14, 2017

Transformation Card

For their 10th Anniversary Papertrey Ink's set up a series of challenges, one of which is to transform a card you weren't happy with into one you are.

This is the original card using the Simply Jane stamp:

While I liked the Valentine's Day colours, I didn't like what elements I made each colour and the layout was not the best.

Here's my transformed card:



I made it an easel card. I die cut two frames in addition to the stamped frame. I also added some stamped flowers from the set (the bouquet) in light pink to the base cardstock. The easel is held open with a heart button.

March 11, 2017

Nail Polish Marbling Background

I made this card for 2 challenges, Papertrey Ink's Make it Monday nail polish marbling and Simon Says Stamps' making your own background.

I took a plastic container from a frozen item, washed it, and half filled it with water. I then added drops of nail polish on top and carefully put a piece of cardstock (2 white & 2 black) on it, marbling the cardstock. You have to be quick or the nail polish will start to harden (well, it created a film that didn't transfer properly anymore).

I found that some of my nail polishes worked great for this, spreading out or streaking, while others didn't want to drip into the container at all or sank to the bottom.

Here are the 4 panels I did:


For my card, I stamped a sentiment from the Daydreamers set by Papertrey Ink in black ink into the bottom right corner. It got lost in the nail polish, so I stamped it again on a piece of vellum and folded the vellum around the back of the card to attach it to the panel. I then mounted the panel onto a blue card.


March 3, 2017

Picking Fairy Fruit

I made this card for the Lavinia Stamps monthly challenge, sparkle and bling.

I started out by die cutting a panel to do my stamping, then used a Crayola airbrush machine to add some colours. I also sprayed it with shimmer mist so the whole panel glitters.

I stamped the wishing tree, without inking the base, then inked the base further down the card. I filled in the trunk with ink using a sponge. This made the tree tall enough to fit the 'three dancing fairies' underneath the branches. I stamped them in and used glitter glue on the wings. For some extra bling, I added some rhinestone 'fruit' that the fairies are picking.

I attacked the panel to a dark blue cardbase.



January 24, 2017

Bookish Spinner Card

I made this card for the Papertrey Ink Make it Monday challenge to make a spinner card.

I used a light pink card base and a darker pink topper. I die cut a large circle out of both layers for the spinner to go. I stamped 2 images from All Booked Up on white cardstock (the woman reading in the photo below and the boy reading under the tree) in dark grey ink and die cut them out. I attached the 2 circles with the string between them. I then used double sided tape to attach the string to the light pink layer before putting the dark pink layer on top.

I stamped my sentiment, also from All Booked Up at the bottom of the card, the decided that the top panel looked too empty, so I used some stamps from the Daydreamers set to simulate a garden where the two people on the spinner are reading. At this point I realized my sentiment had smudged, and so die cut a label and stamped the sentiment onto that. I used double sided tape to attach the ribbon, and then put the label on top with pop dots. I also added 2 punched mini butterflies.