August 10, 2016

Unicorn Egg Decoration

This is my third decorated egg, and I'm really happy with how this one turned out.  The egg was cleaned out and died a light blue.  I then dipped it in water with nail polish on top (it floats on the top like oil - if you do this, use a plastic cup you don't want and be aware that the polish will eventually eat away at the plastic, creating leaks).

For the inside I cut a small styrofoam ball in half, spread white glue over one of the halves, and liberally sprinkled pink craft sand on top.  I should have waited for it to dry but I was impatient and kept working on the project.  I mixed some glue and nail art fluff (similar to flower soft), to make the little bushes.  I added more glue to a small twig and added more fluff to make flowers/leaves on it.

I used hot glue to attach the foam ball to the egg, and the same glue on the unicorn's feet (I had to do this twice as it glued to the sand, which pulled off as the white glue wasn't dry yet).

I used three strands of 'friendship thread', a glittery metallic thread, braided to make the loop, also glued on with hot glue.

July 24, 2016

Pointillism card

I made this card for Papertrey Ink's Pointillism challenge.  Instead of using circles, I decided to use a small flower from the Simply Jane stamp set.  I started by using one of the beautiful butterflies dies to create a soft impression on the paper for a template (I put the paper on a foam sheet, then pressed on the die with my hand to create the outline).  I then used two purple inks with the small stamp to create the butterfly.  To add some details to the butterfly I took a dot stamp from the Foodie Fun set.

I stamped a stem ending from Daydreamers in green then used the small flower stamp to create a flower.  I was going to use the Daydreamers stem itself, but I thought that would be cheating, so I got the dot stamp and created a stem and leaves with it, and some grass at the bottom of the card.

The sentiment is from the Hello Sunshine set, stamped in the two shades of purple I used for the rest of the card.


July 23, 2016

Drips and Splatters Challenge

I made this card for Papertrey Ink's challenge on mastering drips and splatters for Stamp-a-faire.

I used a piece of watercolour paper and then did several techniques for splattering ink/watercolour paints on the page.  For the strips I put a piece of string (because I don't have wool) in ink and laid it on the paper.  I used different sized paint brushes for the other splatters.

The sentiment is from the Daydreamer stamp set and was stamped on a separate piece of watercolour paper, then attached with pop dots.  The whole card was mounted on dark purple cardstock.

Starry Night Challenge

Papertrey Ink is doing their Stamp-a-faire on painting masters, and I made this card for their Starry Night challenge.

I started with a piece of watercolour paper and inked it with a variety of colours (black, dark blue, medium blue, red, purple, and pink) using some make-up sponges.  I spritzed the paper with some glitter and water, then added some more ink with a paint brush.

I dried the paper with my heat gun then used black ink to paint on the horizon line.  I stamped some foreground greenery with stamps from the Daydreamer set, then did some not very good pine trees in the distance with a mix of a paint brush and the edge of a sponge.

I covered the black inked areas and then used some wet acrylic paint to spray on stars (I forgot to wash the black ink off my paintbrush so my first batch of 'stars' are a mix of black and silver) in silver and white.

The sentiment is from the Up, Up and Away set, stamped on black cardstock and heat embossed with glow in the dark embossing powder.  I decided to add some glow in the dark stars, and so dabbed the panel with my embossing pen before applying and heat setting the embossing powder.

I mounted the panel on black cardstock, and used a strip of foam tape to attach the sentiment.

 Here's the card in the dark (enhanced so you can see the effects better).

July 19, 2016

Japan Box Card

This is a card I made for a friend in Japan.  It's my first attempt at a box card, and while it worked, I learned several things from it.

I made the different layers on my Silhouette, but didn't demarcate the side folds, which made assembly a bit difficult (I had to pull it all apart at one point - carefully because I'd already glued it together - and try to reassemble it).  I also learned that you can't make the joins between segments too thin or they'll break (as happened with the clouds and moon on the mountain layer).

I'm submitting the card to Simon Says Stamp's Create a Scene challenge.


June 25, 2016

Shimmer Challenge Card

I made this card for the Simon Says Stamp shimmer challenge.

It's my first time using this Altenew stamp set, which is my excuse for why the flower is upside down. :)

My first step was die cutting the scalloped frame out of black cardstock.

I stamped the largest flower background using the Perfect Pearls medium, then dusted it with purple powder.  I then used a purple Encore pigment ink , which is metallic, to stamp one of the inside detail stamps over top.  The ink pulled off some of the powder, giving it some interesting dimension.

I masked the flower and stamped the leaves on either side, using the medium and green powder.

I stamped the sentiment using the purple pigment ink.

To finish the card I mounted it on a piece of dark purple cardstock and then a lighter purple card base.
 

It's not easy to see the shimmer in the photo, but it's awesome in real life.  Here's a close-up that gives a bit more of an idea.

June 10, 2016

Swan Card

I made this card for Simon Says Stamp's Father's Day/For a Guy challenge.  While swans and bullrushes/cattails aren't masculine, per say, my father LOVED nature and it's the kind of card he would have loved.