February 13, 2013

Email Valentine's Day Card

I had the chance to play around with some new products and create a card that I can submit to a challenge.  It's for a Paper Smooches challenge to put a heart on a card.  So I pulled out my brand spankin new Teen Routine stamp set and got to work.

The first step was making the background.  I drew a grid pattern on my paper and stamped the controller in tan ink on my cream paper.  Then I had to think of a main image.  I wanted something computer oriented, and settled on the iPad images.

This is when things got really fun.  My first idea was to cut out plastic for the screens, so I stamped the iPads on some of the discarded plastic packaging from my Papertrey Ink stamps in Stazon ink (other inks will wipe off the plastic).  Then I thought about the backing and realized I probably didn't need to stamp the images on plastic.  Ah well.

For the iPad propers, I stamped the images on black paper and used my new Ranger holographic embossing powder.  I got the powder thinking it would be a good substitute for clear, little thinking it would look as amazing as it does - all glittery (I'll probably need clear anyway, as this won't do for the technique I wanted the clear powder for, BUT it looks amazing!  So I'm glad I bought it).  I heated the powder (and possibly burnt it, I'm not sure if it's supposed to have brown in it, but it works for this project so I'm cool with the effect here).

I cut out the screens and tried a few samples to see how to best attach them.  I ended up using white glue over my vellum adhesive because it dried cleaner - on the sample.  I'm not too happy with the smears I got on the final card, but there's not much I can do about that now.

I added some punched hearts and a tiny letter printed on plastic (the 'email').


I don't normally do much on the insides of my cards, beyond write a message, but I wanted something else here and so did this (mainly because I'd die cut the large hearts for the front and wanted to use them somewhere): 

Supplies:
Cardstock: Recollections cream, black, metallic brown, metallic gold; plastic/acetate
Stamps: Paper Smooches - Teen Routine
Punch: punch bunch mini heart
Ink: Stazon black, memento tan
Ranger holographic embossing powder
Sizzix accordion fold flower 2 die
Gelly Roll Metallic black pen

No comments: