May 8, 2013

Shimmery Butterfly

I'm submitting this card to two challenges, Simon Says Stamp's Things With Wings and A Blog Named Hero's All That Glitters.

I started the paper a while back and only figured out what I wanted to do with it today.  I put a few drops of reinker ink (blue and peacock green) on a stamp block, misted it, swirled the ink around a bit and then put my piece of watercolour paper down.

Today, I looked at the paper and while I liked the colours, thought I could do better.  As one of the challenges is all about shininess, I used some complementary metallic gelatos over the ink, misted it, and smeared the colour in.  This time I used my heat tool to dry the paper, as I wanted to work with it right away.

For the butterfly, I heat embossed red glitter embossing powder on vellum.  I'm impressed that the velum didn't curl or anything when I applied the heat gun.  For a bit more colour I wet a brush and applied some gold and metallic red gelato to the wings (starting with the back and then doing the front when the colour didn't show through enough).  I think markers would have given more colour but I didn't want to colour over the gelatos in case it ruined them (the way colouring over crayons or pencil crayons will).

I fussy cut the butterfly out and then stamped my flower in a true blue ink on the panel.  I used a green glitter pen for the stem.

The watercolour paper curled a bit so I attached it to my cardstock using heavy double sided tape and some glue (as a few bits curled up despite the tape).  I glued on the metallic red ribbon and then the butterfly.

 And, so you can see some of that shimmer, a detail shot.

3 comments:

Dawny P said...

This is gorgeous - what lovely colours you've used. Thank you for joining us over at the Simon Says Stamp challenge. Hugs, Dawny x

Christine said...

This is such a beautiful color combo! Love the shape of your butterfly.
Thanks so much for joining us at A Blog Named Hero!

Hugs
Christine

LauraVi said...

What a beautiful card! I like these two colours very much!